Around half of Tasmania’s products are sold either interstate of overseas and many of our service industries are similarly trade exposed, driven by a targeted promotion of our Tasmanian brand. More trade equates to a stronger, growing economy, delivering more jobs for Tasmanians
The Trade and International Relations Unit supports Tasmanian businesses and industries to establish, grow and expand their markets, both nationally and internationally by:
- managing initiatives designed to provide opportunities for Tasmanian businesses to grow their markets
- providing facilitation, advice, information and resources to assist businesses including advice on funding opportunities, markets, branding and export
- engaging with key stakeholders across business, industry peak bodies, universities and federal government to take advantage of relevant opportunities and find solutions to key issues
- collaborating with other government units and departments to facilitate whole of government initiatives
- supporting the government’s work in building and leveraging international relationships.
Our core team is based in Hobart. Internationally, we currently have an in-market presence in China. Our Business Development Manager, based in Shanghai, provides market advice, facilitates introductions and connections, supports Tasmanian businesses and industry associations at trade show and events, and promotes Tasmania as a trade opportunity.
Note; if you are seeking to establish, relocate, diversify or expand your business in Tasmania, please contact the Office of the Coordinator-General, the lead agency within the Tasmanian Government for investment attraction.