Building Projects Support Program
The Tasmanian Government recognises the important role that the building and construction sector plays in the Tasmanian economy.
To support the sector, the Tasmanian Government has allocated $10 million to bring forward community or commercial projects that will help stimulate the sector and support local jobs.
The program will be delivered through a single competitive grant funding round, providing funding of up to 25 per cent of the construction cost for projects with a minimum construction cost of $2 million. A maximum grant of $1 million is available per applicant. Applications outside of these parameters may be eligible by exception on a case-by-case basis and considered within the merit-based assessment process.
In order to stimulate the construction sector projects will need to achieve all required statutory and regulatory approvals and generally be able to substantially commence construction within six months of receiving approval for a grant.
Projects are expected to demonstrate community benefits, as well as broad economic or social benefits to Tasmania.
The Building Projects Support Program will open for applications at 2pm on 2 March 2021 and close at 5:00pm on 16 April 2021.
Applications must meet all of the eligibility criteria. If you are unsure about your ability to meet all aspects of the eligibility criteria you should contact Business Tasmania.
To be eligible applicants must:
- hold an active Australian Business Number (ABN)
- be registered for GST
- own or lease a property in Tasmania that incorporates a proposed development project with a construction value of at least $2 million, noting Projects with a construction value below $2 million would need to demonstrate significant social and/or community benefit.
- have a development project that is generally able to commence construction within six months of receiving approval for a grant under the program
- have a development project that would not proceed or would be delayed without the grant funds requested in this program, and
- have the financial capacity to deliver the applicant’s contribution toward the project, meet project contingencies and have the operational capacity to manage the project through to completion.
Multiple applications may be submitted by the same applicant for different projects, however applicants should advise project priority as a maximum of $1 million per applicant is available under the program.
Local government and local government authorities are eligible to apply under the program.
Ineligibility criteria also apply to this grant program – please check the guidelines before applying.
The Department of State Growth uses an online grants management system called SmartyGrants. This system is easy to use and accessible via mobile phone, tablet and computer.
The online platform allows applicants to apply for a grant at any time while the program is open. It also allows the department to send notifications throughout the grant application and funding period.
Where possible, applicants should complete and lodge an application online via SmartyGrants from the Business Tasmania website www.business.tas.gov.au
Following submission of an application via SmartyGrants, applicants will receive an automatic receipt which will include details of the application and a unique application ID.
Applicants who are unable to apply online via SmartyGrants can access a manual application form by calling Business Tasmania on 1800 440 026.