Cultural Heritage Organisations (including multi-year) 2021-22
The Minister for the Arts has approved 12 organisations for funding of $340 000 for 2021-22, alongside two existing multi-year commitments for 2021-22 totalling $125 000.
Funding recommendations were made by expert peers drawn from the Cultural and Creative Industries Expert Register.
The expert peers were directed to assess and recommend applications for support on the basis of the published criteria of quality, planning and benefit.
If the funded activities are not able to proceed as planned – particularly if current restrictions or travel advice changes, Arts Tasmania will support recipients to adjust or revise activities and timelines.
Break O’Day Council
Towards bringing the national touring exhibit Out of This World to the museum.
Burnie City Council
Towards operations of the Burnie Regional Museum and Art Gallery including exhibition development and delivery, staffing costs, collection management, interpretive projects that engage the First Nation community, funding for local art and heritage.
Central Coast Council
Towards employing a Curator to manage the collection at The Hive Centre in Ulverstone.
Collection of Medical Artefacts Tasmania
Towards documenting and caring for the archive and rare book collection.
Derwent Valley Railway Preservation Society Inc
For the purchase of collection conservation materials.
Huon Valley Council
To create interpretation banners for the Vin Smith Collection.
Mawsons Huts Foundation Ltd
Towards the conservation and display of recently loaned or donated expedition artefacts.
Sound Preservation Association of Tasmania
Towards introducing interpretative panels to make museum objects more accessible and relevant to the public.
Tasmanian Aviation Historical Society Incorporated
Towards the establishment of a brand and identity to support and strengthen interpretation materials, and to be integrated in to all forms of visitor engagement.
The Trustee for the Trustees of the Diocese of Tasmania
For the production of a professionally designed and produced brochure with photographs and text that adds to a visitor-friendly experience.
Wool Centre Museum Fund
To employ a Museum Officer to manage the collection and develop interpretation.
Maritime Museum of Tasmania Inc.
$76 000 for 2021-22
$78 000 for 2022-23
$80 000 for 2023-24
$82 000 for 2024-25
For the multi-year delivery of a state-wide maritime heritage outreach and education program.
Existing multi-year agreements
Devonport City Council
$80 000 for 2021-22
Narryna Heritage Museum Inc.
$45 000 for 2021-22
The peers gave the following feedback to help current and future applicants:
- The peers were very encouraged to see a range of different small museums run by volunteers adapting or looking to adapt professional museum practices demonstrate evidence of community support.
- Applications that clearly articulated the objectives of the activity, and how it fit in to the longer term goals of the organisation, were more likely to be supported.
- A clear explanation of how the activity complimented or enhanced existing resources such as the collection or interpretation plans, policies, procedures or strategies made applications more competitive.
- The peers strongly encouraged applicants to include support material, including relevant letters of support, any available interpretation plans, collection policies, and other keys supporting documentation to strengthen the application.
- Peers would like to see applicants consider diversity and inclusivity in their activities, and to plan genuine ongoing engagements with diverse communities.
The following peers assessed in the October 2020 round (incorporating Cultural Heritage Organisations, Cultural Heritage Organisations [multi-year] and Roving Curators):
- Anna Hume
- Belinda Cotton
- Jennifer Franklin
- Kim Lehman
- Stephen Salt
Arts Tasmania carefully manages actual and perceived conflicts of interest for both staff members and peers involved in the assessment process.
More information on the management of conflicts of interest can be found here.